Sunday 1 March 2009

A winning streak!

I never usually win anything (although there was the prize of a year's membership of a gym that I won at the annual medical students' ball around 18 years ago - anyone who knows me will vouch for the fact I am not gym material.....), but have been inspired by reading posts on Folksy to enter a couple of blog competitions recently. I guess it's a great way of getting folk to read your blog and to make a comment, and I know I'm always intrigued to see who is actually reading my blog. So I was a little shocked and very happy to find I have won some mohair fibre from Llamas, cats and crafts! I'm really pleased as it will be a good excuse to get on and learn to spin with my drop spindle. Plus as they say, good luck brings good luck, so I'm going to have to start entering more competitions!

This weekend has been very inspiring - with the sun on Friday and my parents visiting I've had a lot more time than usual to think about my creations. We visited Kew Gardens on Friday and it was so uplifting to see the spring colours, vibrant and alive, sparkling in the sunshine. The crocuses were amazing and I even managed to take a couple of pictures which really show them in all their glory - I'll try and upload them tomorrow. I have dyed some aran weight yarn in shades of purple and electric blue, and am calling the colourway "Electric Crocus" as it brings to mind the colours of the crocuses (is that the correct plural spelling???!!!). Hopefully, I'll have a picture of a finished article later in the week.

Today we went to the Victoria and Albert museum - I suppose I ought to be ashamed to admit that despite living in and around London for over 9 years, this was my first visit. To say I was in awe is an understatement. Hopefully, I'll start visiting more often. We went to see the Stephen Jones exhibition of hats and I can assure everyone that has checked out my Folksy and Etsy shops that there will be hats featured in my next autumn/winter collection... Watch this space!

1 comment:

EHillson said...

I used to love going to the V&A. The textiles there are wonderful. Hope your winning streak continues.